Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Looking like Christmas


The Harmattan winds and dust from the Sahara seem to be here to stay. This is our signal that the Christmas season has come. Ironic to me that such a phenomenon as this is now my annual manifestation for the holiday season in the place of the first frost, the falling leaves, or that white stuff that falls from the sky (which I wonder if it actually exists). Speaking of cold it was a ripping 75.2 degrees this morning when we awoke. In reaction to this we donned long pants, sweat shirts, and drank hot tea as we sat around and complained of the bitter chill. Making it even feel more like Christmas is the presence of Nana K and Papa K (Marty's mom and dad - AKA Kelly and Anna Koonce). This presence of family gives the truest sense of fulfillment of prophetic indicators that the Christmas season is upon us. We've loaded all of the seasonal music on our I-pods, decorated the tree, and put up the lights. Truly, its beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I wish you could be here to experience it with us.

4 comments:

Jenna Bunner said...

so do I!
I miss that dry season, to tell you the truth.
I'd rather have 75.2 degrees than 28 degrees any day!
:)
I miss Christmas with you guys!

Anthony Parker said...

It's a cozy 35 degrees in Albany tonight, but it's supposed to get cold tomorrow! I don't miss the dust, but I do miss y'all.

You're going to have to stop mentioning the missionaries have ipods -- I don't even have one yet, but Santa Clause is bringing me a Creative MP3 player.

We close on our house tomorrow, but it looks like electricity won't be on until next week!

Marty Koonce said...

Anthony and Jenna,
we miss you all too. We'd take either of you over the dust any day. Sorry about the electricity, just keep the generator running.

Patty said...

Amen to Jenna's comment-- i loved Harmattan! (Of course if I lived in the Hollands' house, I probably wouldn't). Here we get 6 months of damp and cold and gray. That's what I miss the most-- the sunlight. Lots of people around here get depressed from lack of light this time of year. It just doesn't feel quite like Christmas without the dust, but we'll make do. Merry Christmas!