Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Taking Dad to the office


I always loved days when I went to work with my dad. I begged and pleaded to go during the summer months while school was out. It helped that at work Dad had tanks to play on, a firing range, a basketball court, pool table, all the chocolate the seargent would buy me and a German shepherd big enough for me to ride on called Brutus. Several times each summer the begging worked and I got to go. I was thinking about that today as Dad and I buckled up and headed down the road to Atitogon. My office isn't quite as exciting as Dad's was, but it still has its uniqueness. We met under our mud and thatch building in Atitogon that is beside Kossi's house. Of course, I had to show off Kossi's mud, thatch, and stick chicken house, along with all the other improvements he's made since Dad's last visit. We met with the four leaders we are training out there for three hours. Dad had to stand up a few times and wander around as he struggled to find just the right spot of comfort on his bench. He did get in some great encouragement to the leaders which I only altered a little in the translation and then Afii, Kossi's wife, fed us a delicious meal of rice, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, and fish all in a red oil pepper sauce. Sadly, Dad wasn't served the fish head, so the adventure of it began to pale, but we did get to drive home in the dark which is always the most exciting of adventures in Togo. It was a good day of bring your Dad to the office. How blessed I am to have he and Mom experiencing with us our lives and work in here Togo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post and it's picture! What a blessing to share your work life with your father. I know he is so proud of you!!!

Anonymous said...

You are a great dad and have a very interesting office. Your son's will also have lot's of wonderful memories. Keep up the great work.

Anthony Parker said...

Jeremy was recalling this week how good the food was when we ate in the homes of the Togolese. We do miss it -- and you, too. We've been so consumed with this move that we haven't sent anything for Christmas, but you are in our hearts.