Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Sporting News


Well, we have returned to our domicile in Tabligbo after a great extended weekend of Thanksgiving (yeah, we're a week late on that one) with our northern team in Kara, Togo. What a weekend it was. It was topped off by the annual event of Sports Camp for the kids. This year we couldn't allow any recruiters to attend based on the fact that we don't want any of our kids seduced away to the states by promises of free trips to McDonald's, all you can eat pizza buffets, and seven figure incomes. It was a spectacular show of talent in the three sports showcased this year of baseball, soccer, and basketball. To my sons' deep disappointment football was not on the roster this year because of budget cuts and time constraints. Seriously, it did give us dads and moms a chance to cheer our kids on in English; extol the virtues of sport in general to these young athletes; and make several life lesson parallels to following Christ (which they might actually remember until next year's session). Our thanks to the Kabiye team for hosting us and all the parents who coached and encouraged as well as those fine athletes who participated heart, body, and soul. By the way, for those of you still debating silently about me calling myself an occasional golfer. I give in. You win. I realized this when a close friend commented that his explanation of my use of the adverb occasional was when I find the occasion to go. Secondly, my mother so graciously gave me a Christmas ornament this year that said, "I only golf on days that end in 'y'." Okay, I admit it, I golf semi-frequently.

2 comments:

Anthony Parker said...

Our boys missed being at sports camp. When I told Jeremy you didn't have football, his reply was -- "I would have been glad because I don't really like football."

He has two days of school in Albany under his belt. When he made out his Christmas list he put "New Friends" in big letters. After just the first day he told me he had already received that gift. Praise God!

Becky Reeves said...

We enjoyed having you guys up here! I think some people would still take issue with your semi-frequent status, but I figure that may be part of the reason you put it in there, eh? One thing that's pretty fun about you is that you're not afraid of controversy! Yeah, get it goin'!!! See you guys in January!